Legal Officer – Maternity Leave Cover
Legal Officer – Maternity Leave Cover
Salary: £36,000 pa
Contract: Fixed Term Contract: 1-year Maternity Leave Cover
Location: London, United Kingdom
ABOUT PRIVACY INTERNATIONAL
The empowerment of the individual is core to our work. Accordingly, PI aims to empower its staff and create a good work environment. People here are looking to change the world by developing expertise, creatively disseminating research, working with others in this field globally, and delivering effective advocacy.
The role of the Legal Officer is to devise, implement and manage legal advocacy and litigation designed to achieve PI's policy and advocacy objectives. As a member of the Legal Team, the Legal Officer will help execute PI's strategy across its three programmatic areas of Data Exploitation, Privacy in the Global South and State Surveillance. This will include bringing cases against governments and companies, intervening in actions in domestic and regional courts, and advocating before regulatory bodies. The Legal Officer will be expected to understand and work within a variety of local, national and international jurisdictions, including those governed by civil law or common law.
The Legal Officer will also contribute to PI's policy development and advocacy initiatives, from policy advocacy in national venues to international advocacy in civil liberties and human rights fora. To that end, the Legal Officer will work with the advocacy, policy and communications teams to formulate creative ways to use legal avenues and arguments to achieve policy and advocacy goals. The Legal Officer will also liaise with PI’s international partners.
The Legal Officer will report to the Legal Team Lead.
- Law degree, in any jurisdiction
- Significant experience in NGOs/human rights organisations or law firms, working on litigation or legal action initiatives
- Experience taking creative approaches to novel legal challenges
- Knowledge of and experience working with international human rights standards, national rights frameworks, and/or legal issues related to data and privacy, including data protection, consumer rights law and/or competition law
- Experience with or willingness to learn about the complex interaction between law and technology
- Experience with or willingness to learn about vetting and launching new cases
- Experience with or willingness to learn about submitting interventions and amicus curiae briefs
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, with the highest level of attention to detail
- Ability to work with and manage relationships with counsel and partner organisations
- Advanced university qualification preferred (Masters, JD or equivalent)
- Experience working in a civil law jurisdiction
- Admitted to practice, in any jurisdiction
- Experience with assessing legal risks faced by public interest organisations
- Experience with drafting and editing contracts and other legal instruments
- Ability to coordinate NGO coalitions
- Ability speak to publicly, including with the media and at conferences and meetings
To apply, please send:
1. a CV (not more than two pages)
2. a covering letter (not more than two pages)
The closing date for applications is the 24th June 2018, 23:59 BST.
Please send the requested material in one email to email@example.com. (Please include the title of the post you are applying for in the subject of the email).
As this is a maternity cover, the successful candidate would need to be available to start work, at the latest, by 3 September 2018.
The candidates who we choose to interview will be contacted by the end of the day on Tuesday, the 26th of June 2018. Interviews will take place in London on the 28th and 29th June 2018 – please reserve these days for a possible interview. We can arrange video conference interviews with candidates based outside of London.
We may conduct a second round of interviews, which will be decided only after the first round of interviews takes place. If necessary, the second round of interviews would be held during the week commencing the 2nd July 2018.