Policy Officer - Closed
Title: Policy Officer
Location: London office (Central London)
Working hours: Full time
Other: 26 days annual leave, generous workplace pension, we can offer a modest relocation fund
About our work: We are a London-based charity that campaigns for legal and technological solutions to protect people and their data from exploitation. We envision a world where freedom and privacy will be the foundations of tomorrow’s societies. We target companies and governments who exploit our data and technologies. We expose harm and abuses, mobilise allies globally, campaign with the public for solutions, and pressure companies and governments to change. We are delivering our multi-year strategic plan to protect democracy, defend people’s dignity, and demand accountability from the powerful institutions who breach public trust.
About you: You are curious about the state and direction of the world. You understand that technologies play many roles in bolstering power and shaping the future. You are an advocate who wants to fight for change and ensure your voice is both credible and heard by key audiences, including the public. You want to shape an organisation that is always growing and learning and contribute to its strengthening. You want to work with colleagues and partner organisations across a variety of projects and use different skills-sets. You are keen to learn new multidisciplinary ways of achieving global change.
About PI: Everyone at PI works to build a good and resilient organisation, where we are always looking to learn and grow. We lead by example to make the most of our opportunities to shape the future. We work with others, including our network of partners across the world, to understand, engage and build a movement. We use creative approaches to deliver our work and share what we learn.
ABOUT THIS ROLE
The Policy Officer will work across PI to help deliver on our strategic plan, build a resilient organisation, and work to support our global movement. The person in this role will conduct advocacy to achieve PI’s goals. This will include policy research, outreach and public engagement initiatives in order to formulate new and creative ways to demand change globally, including working with our partners across the world.
The Policy Officer will be expected to participate in project planning, management and delivery across PI to build the organisation, the global movement, and create change in the world.
PARTICULAR TO THIS ROLE
This role will focus on global policy and decision-making processes, particularly:
- conducting policy research to identify and uncover gaps in existing regulatory and legal frameworks in relations to government and industry practices and policies
- conducting advocacy before international and regional organisations
- developing and disseminating PI’s policies
- building global narratives and campaigns
- conducting outreach to partners to coordinate these with them
- supporting outreach to global actors, including activist movements, on global stages
- monitoring global developments to inform campaigning and outreach to global stakeholders and relevant regional and national policy forums.
Experiences and Skills
- Degree in law, human rights, political science or international relations, or equivalent experience.
- Extensive experience in policy development and advocacy related to human rights and development, including with international/regional organisations
- Experience in designing and implementing innovative outreach and communications strategies targeting diverse global stakeholders.
- Experience of strategically engaging with diverse stakeholder groups including governmental, inter-governmental, industry, other non-state actors and the public.
- Experience working in and/or with the national and/or international NGO sector from across the world.
- Strong interpersonal skills in liaising, communicating and engaging with colleagues and external audiences from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds.
- Proactive and self-motivated individual capable of working unsupervised and taking responsibility for managing relationships with key partners and diverse stakeholders.
- Exceptional communications and presentation skills, both written and oral, with a proven track record of communicating complex issues to diverse audiences.
- Project Management, either as part of, or leading a team
- Willing and able to travel internationally.
- Fluency in a language other than English.
- Experience working in diverse environments and working globally
- Ability to work with and coordinate NGO coalitions.
- Experience in legal or regulatory interactions with technology
- Privacy and/or issues at the intersection of data, technology and human rights.
- General rights frameworks, including advocating for the protection of social, economic and cultural rights.
To apply, please send:
- a CV (not more than two pages)
- a covering letter (not more than two pages)
The closing date for applications is the 20 February 2022.
Please send the requested material in one email to firstname.lastname@example.org. (Please include the title of the post you are applying for in the subject of the email).
Only complete applications will be considered.
The candidates who we choose to interview will be contacted by the end of the day on 23 February 2022.
Interviews will take place the week of 28 February 2022 – please reserve these days for a possible interview, which will be arranged as a video conference.
We may conduct a second round of interviews, which will be decided only after the first round of interviews takes place. If necessary, the second round of interviews would be held on 07 March 2022.