Whatsapp - Good practices
Settings can only do so much to protect you. Your security and privacy also comes from how you use the app. This guides covers chat history and general good practices
If you know your device might be accessed and your Whatsapp conversations might be used against you, the chat history feature offers the opportunity to clean all your chats. “Delete all chats” will effectively delete all your conversations. Note that if you have chat backups enabled (we don’t recommend this), these conversations might still be available in the cloud. This setting also lets you export specific chats should you want to save it locally.
To access chat history:
- Open Whatsapp and tap the three dots in the top right corner
- Tap Settings > Chat > Chat History
- If a stranger starts a conversation with you claiming to be someone you know, try to ensure that they are who they claim they are before providing any information about yourself
- Joining a group will make your phone number visible to all group members. Before joining a group we recommend you check who the members are as they will have access to this information
- Messaging apps such as Whatsapp are often used to send virus through files and links. We recommend you be very vigilant before downloading anything sent to you on Whatsapp (such as a file or document that requires to be open on your phone) or clicking links sent by people you don't trust.